What was originally meant to be a small app designed to make subdivision mosaics (that’s what I’m calling the type of mosaic I have been posting below, with variable tile sizes), turned out to be a bigger project than expected.
I ran across these circle mosaics on the web, similar to the one shown here and had to implement an algorithm to achieve that effect. It turns out an iPhone app, Percolator, is actually specialized in these.
My next source of inspiration came from an Android game I had played a few months ago called Strata. Basically it’s a game where you have to form a grid like color pattern by using ribbons and deciding which goes on top of which. So I started wondering if in principle one could form an image from intersecting ribbons by cleverly picking their colors. My conclusion was unfortunately that you can’t unless you cheat and change the ribbon color as needed or stick to very few colors and use dithering. By the time I discovered this fact I had a working algorithm that could generate interesting fabric effects, if not reach the impossible goal I had set.
At this point I had 3 algorithms each with dozens of parameters. It took a while to figure out I should split them into simpler filters and reduce the possibilities for the end user. The app has a typical workflow – choose your image, choose your filter, choose your parameters, apply the filter and enjoy the result. I have many ideas in store yet, so the app should be updated frequently in the coming months.
I’m working on a new app. It converts pictures into mosaics.
Basically I’m automating the process I was going through to make my earlier mosaics by generating tiles with a python script and then feeding them to AndreaMosaic multiple times to obtain the various tile sizes.
It is the evolution of the experimental web game I made late last year, but using fingers rather than a mouse makes for a more satisfying experience. Most of the game was coded over the past two weeks. I had already ported the web game to android a bit earlier and started from that.
As noticed when working on Pan’s Remarkable Adventure, most of the work was spent on everything outside of the game proper: level selection, options, main menu and the report sheet at the end of a game.